Managing your customer data efficiently is crucial for any business, and Zoho CRM makes it easier than ever to export and import data seamlessly. Whether you want to back up your information or streamline your lead creation process, here’s a comprehensive guide on how to do it with Zoho CRM.
Exporting CRM Data
1. Export Module Data
Zoho CRM offers a simple way to export data from individual CRM modules in CSV format. This is perfect for keeping backups or further analysis. Here’s how:
- Availability: Users with Export (Module) permission can access this feature.
- Export Limit for Reports: Depending on the format, you can export varying numbers of records per batch.
- PDF and Excel: 2000 records per batch.
- CSV: 20,000 records from the first page and 2,000 from subsequent pages.
Steps to Export Data:
- Navigate to Setup > Data Administration > Export.
- In the Export Data page, select the module you want to export data from.
- Click Export and the records will be exported to your local disk in CSV format.
2. Request CRM Data Backup
For a complete backup of your Zoho CRM account, you can request a CRM data backup. This is a safeguard against data loss and ensures you have all your information secured.
You can choose to download the backup immediately or schedule it to take place at a specific time of your choice (twice a month, once a month, or every week). Only users with administrative profiles can request data backup. Ultimate Edition users can avail four backups without any payment.
There is complete documentation available on the Zoho Help Portal for requesting data backup.
Importing Data to Zoho CRM
Importing data into Zoho CRM is equally important, especially for lead creation. You can import data into individual modules or migrate data from other CRM systems. Here’s how:
- Availability: Users with Import permission can access this feature.
Before importing data, follow this checklist:
- Ensure you have the necessary permissions to import data.
- Supported file formats include Excel (XLS, XLSX), CSV, and Business Card or vCard Format (VCF).
- Avoid special controls like combo filters or images in XLS/XLSX files.
- Data should not contain data enclosed in <script> </script>.
- Mandatory fields must contain values.
- Checkbox data should be formatted as True (1) or False (0).
- Values in drop-down lists must match Zoho CRM fields.
- Field names should be in the first row of the import file.
- Avoid more than 10 blank rows within the file.
- Check file size limits based on your CRM edition and format (Enterprise and Ultimate – 25 MB, Professional and Standard – 10 MB, Free – 5 MB. VCF files: 5 MB for all editions).
- Ensure the parent ID field is unique in the import file.
- Following are the number of rows that can be imported: Standard – 10,000; Professional – 20,000; Enterprise – 30,000; Ultimate – 50,000
- Note that you cannot import calls, meetings, reports, invoices, quotes, purchase orders, forecasts, sales orders, and templates into Zoho CRM.
- Any field present in the .CSV file can be mapped with an external field present in the CRM module. The value of the external ID field can be updated only through API.
- The modules along with their Zoho-defined mandatory fields are described in the table below. Please make sure to map these fields when you import. There may be other mandatory fields in each module too, but you can always customize and mark the fields as non-mandatory if required.
Importing Data to Individual Modules
- 1. Click the appropriate [Module] tab (e.g., Leads, Contacts, Accounts).
- 2. In the [Module] Home page, click Import Leads [Records] from the Create Lead dropdown.
- 3. Browse to upload the file or drag and drop it.
- 4. Select the character encoding and click Next.
- 5. Choose the layout for importing records.
- 6. Select the import option:
- i. Add as new records
- ii. Update existing records only
- iii. Both (add new and update existing)
7. Map fields from the import file to those in Zoho CRM.
8. Assign owner based on assignment rules, trigger automation, and process management options as needed.
9. Select the checkbox to Enable Manual Lead Approval
10. Click Finish to initiate the import action.
Importing Data to a Subform
Your CRM data are often inter-dependent. You may have the necessity to associate multiple items to a single record. In technical terms, we call these “line items” or subforms.
Subforms easily solve the need for you to establish a one-to-many relationship with data in your CRM, in which many secondary items are associated to a single primary record.
Importing subform entries can be more efficient than manual entry. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the module where you want to import subform entries.
- Click Import Subforms from the Create Contact dropdown.
- Browse to upload the file.
- Select the import option:
- Add as a new subform
- Update existing subform only
- Both (add new and update existing)
- Map the columns in the import file to the subform fields in Zoho CRM, ensuring you include the parent ID field for proper association.
Importing notes can save you time and effort when dealing with multiple records. Here’s how to do it:
- Prepare a spreadsheet with the Note Title, Note Content, and a unique field for the module (e.g., Email, Record ID).
- In Zoho CRM, navigate to the module where you want to import notes.
- Click the [Module] tab.
- In the [Module] Home page, click Import Notes.
- Upload your prepared spreadsheet.
- Map the fields from the import file to those in Zoho CRM.
- Click Import to initiate the action.
By following these steps, you can easily export and import data in Zoho CRM, ensuring your customer information is well-organized and accessible whenever needed.
Managing Data Storage Space in Zoho CRM
Zoho CRM organizes storage space into two categories: ‘Data’ and ‘File,’ with further classifications for storage and usage details.
Data storage accounts for the space used by records in standard and custom modules, including attached notes, and data in the recycle bin. The calculation considers the size of records stored in each module, notes, and recycle bin data (approximate values based on user average usage).
- System Defined Modules: 2 KB
- Custom Modules: 2 KB
- Linking Modules: 1 KB
- Notes: 1 KB
- Emails (per record in the email-related list): 1 KB
- Recycle Bin (same size as components above)
Purchasing Additional Data Storage
You can purchase extra data storage in addition to the default space included with your subscribed edition. Before data limitations are enforced, it’s available offline at $4 per 100 MB per month (about 50,000 records). Zoho will notify you when you approach or reach your storage limit, allowing you to buy additional storage. This charge is monthly.
Below is the edition-wise data storage availability details:
Contact First Direct Corp
As a Zoho Authorized Partner, First Direct Corporation helps organizations to implement and configure Zoho in the best possible way. Our Zoho experts can help you import and export data from Zoho CRM. If you have questions or want to know more about importing or exporting data from Zoho, you can contact us online or call us at (845) 221-3800.